I’ve adored trifle ever since I was a child: fruit; custard; jelly; cream; numerous layers of yumminess… what’s there not to like? What’s even more amazing is that with zillions of varieties of trifle you can have a different one for every day of your life and you’ll never get bored!
I don’t believe that trifles should be solely reserved for Christmas but to make one completely from scratch can be quite time consuming. However, I’ve managed to find a recipe for a super quick trifle which takes a fraction of the time to prepare but is still extremely delicious.
ZESTY AND BOOZY RASPBERRY TRIFLE
4 tbsp. sherry or raspberry liquor
1 Madeira cake, sliced 1″ thick
5 tbsp. raspberry jam
250g/9oz fresh/thawed raspberries
290ml/ 1/2 pint ready made custard
Zest and juice of one orange
290ml/ 1/2 pint double cream, whipped
Candied orange peel/slices/fresh orange segments
- Spread the jam over the cake slices and cut into bite sized cubes.
- Divide the sponge cubes between four individual dessert glasses.
- Pour the sherry or raspberry liquor over the sponge.
- Divide raspberries between the glasses, reserving a few for decoration.
- Mix the orange zest and juice with the custard and place over the cake and raspberries.
- Top with a layer of whipped cream and place remaining raspberries and oranges on top.
- Cool in fridge for 30 minutes before serving.