I absolutely love the combination of chocolate and banana together. I think it’s a match made in dessert heaven so when I stumbled across this recipe for chocolate and banana cake bars – which contained all three types of chocolate – I knew I had to share it with you.
Guess who’ll be baking away this weekend?
Makes: 16 cake bars
250g plain flour
130g butter, softened
100g soft brown sugar
3 ripe bananas
2 eggs, beaten
1tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
60g dark chocolate
30g white chocolate
30g milk chocolate
- Preheat oven to 160ºC.
- Butter and line 2 22cm x 24cm cake tins.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar.
- Mash bananas.
- Add to the butter mixture along with vanilla and eggs.
- Sieve flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into the bowl.
- Combine well.
- Add all the chocolate and milk.
- Stir well.
- Spoon mixture into tins.
- Bake in the middle shelf of oven for about 20mins.
- Insert a skewer or knife into the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean it’s ready.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Slice into rectangles while in the tin.
- Remove from tin and serve.
- Instead of making cake bars, this mixture can be used to make muffins. Just substitute cake tins for muffin tray lined with muffin cases.
- Chocolate can either be broken into chunks or shop bought chocolate chips can also be used.