Apricot Bakewell Tart
Who doesn’t like a large slice of Bakewell Tart? And if like me, you’re quite fond of apricots, then you’ll love this modern take on an old classic which uses apricot jam rather than the traditional raspberry. Easy to prepare and delicious – your family and friends will love this. If you don’t scoff the lot yourself, that is!
APRICOT BAKEWELL TART
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Cooling time: 1 hour
For the pastry
225g plain flour
110g unsalted butter
50g caster sugar
Pinch of salt
2 large eggs
For the filling
4 heaped tbsp. apricot jam
150g unsalted butter
150g castor sugar
3 large eggs
1 egg yolk
150g ground almonds
Zest of 1 orange
1 tsp. Almond extract
1 tbsp. flaked almonds
Icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius/350 degrees Fahrenheit/Gas mark 4
- To make the pastry, put flour, butter, sugar, and salt into food processor.
- Whizz until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add one egg and pulse the processor until the dough comes together.
- Flatten into a disc; cover with cling film and chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the pastry on a floured surface to about 3mm thick.
- Grease a 20cm, 3.5 cm deep fluted tart tin and line with pastry.
- prick the base and chill for 20 minutes.
- Line the pastry case with baking paper and fill with baking beans.
- Cook for about 20 minutes.
- Remove the beans and paper.
- Beat the remaining egg and brush over the inside of the pastry case.
- Cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Leave to cool.
- Spread the jam evenly over the base of the pastry case.
- Cream the butter and castor sugar together.
- Gradually add the eggs and egg yolk.
- Fold in the ground almonds, orange zest and almond extract.
- Spoon the mixture over the jam.
- Scatter with the flaked almonds and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve with cream, ice-cream, custard or mascarpone.
Posted on August 11, 2013, in In The Kitchen and tagged almonds, Apricot, apricot jam, bake, Bakewell tart, Butter, castor sugar, Cook, cream custard, Egg yolk, flaked almonds, Flour, food, ground almonds, icing sugar, jam, Pastry, pastry case, Powdered sugar, recipes, Sugar, tart. Bookmark the permalink. 3 Comments.